Thursday, August 25, 2011

My Lola Pat's Birthday



August 25, 2011

After my shift, I went to Garden of Memories to visit one of the most important persons in my life, my Lola Pat. I brought her orchids, her favourite.

Today is my Lola Pat’s birthday. This is one of those days in the year that I don’t need to put a reminder on my calendar or my planner or even set an alarm to remind me what the event is. This is un-evitable and unforgettable date for me. It will always be remembered by my heart.

Lola Pat is not my biological grandma. She’s my Inang’s cousin. She took care of me when I was still little. I literally grew up with her. She loved me the way she loved her own grandchildren. She treated me like her own granddaughter. She’s my one and only Lola Pat.

Despite her wrinkles and all those physical changes that were caused by aging, she’s still beautiful. She’s like a celebrity. She has a very white skin (the kind of white that only Chinese and rich people can haveJ). She has a very kind and loving heart. She’s helpful and very approachable. She’s an angel in disguise.

I was only eight years old when she died, but if I’ll look back and walk through my memory lane, I still have a clear picture of the times I spent with her.

When I was still little, after my pre-school class from the day care, my Nanay would sometimes drop me off at my Lola Pat’s house. She would look over me while my parents were at work and my siblings were at school.

On Sundays, we always go to church and sometimes after the service we would stay at their house to eat lunch.

We always go to her house and I would always walk and play around the garage area just near her garden full of different kind orchids. Orchid is her favourite flower. She personally took care of her orchids. She loves orchids.

As I grow older, whenever important things happen to me, I’d always wished that she was still alive and she would witness it. Back in my elementary graduation, when I came up on stage, delivered my speech and received my medal, I wished that Lola Pat was there to hear me and put my medal on. In my high school graduation, I wished that Lola Pat was there to see my achievements and put my medals on me. On my 18th birthday, I wished that Lola Pat was there to see me as I start the new chapter in my life. In my college graduation, I wished that Lola Pat was there and witnessed as I stepped on stage and received my last diploma.

I know she’s watching over from heaven with God and saw everything, but it still feels different if she was there and I could hug her after I received all my medals and diplomas. I know she would be proud of me.

It’s been fifteen years already, but whenever this day comes and I visit her tomb I would still cry while I’m praying and wished that she is still here.

Lord, please tell Lola Pat how much I love her and how much I miss her.

No comments:

Post a Comment